Friday, July 27, 2012

Rhiannon Frater's YA zombie novel:

The Living Dead Boy and the Zombie Hunters

by Rhainnon Frater



From Goodreads: Josh Rondell is twelve years old and known as the "living dead boy" due to his rampant love of all things zombie. As the head of the Zombie Hunters Club, he's obsessed with preparing for the zombocalypse.
Though no one around him really believes that zombies will one day rise to devour the living, Josh is convinced it just might happen.
When zombies do shamble into his schoolyard, Josh finds himself the leader of the dwindling band of zombie hunters, and he is charged with protecting them all. Josh's baby brother, his closest friends, and the love of his young life try to survive as the undead take over their town.
Trapped in his treehouse and surrounded by the dead, will Josh be able to save them all?

Lori's Review: 5 Stars
Did you really think I would give this book anything under 5 stars? But honestly, it is not because that I LOVE Rhainnon Frater. I mean I do love her. She's great. But I wouldn't gush about her if she didn't have the writing chops to back it up.
I should warn everyone that while this is still a horror book it is intended for younger readers. I'm not even talking YA. Let's put it this way...I bought this book in paperback for my 8 year old nephew (he loves zombies. I encourage this, of course). I read it before giving it to him because I wanted to be sure that it wasn't to overly sexual. Which was silly because Rhiannon Frater can write horror with and without sex. There was one mention of breasts that will make my nephew uncomfortable for about 3 seconds. Whoopie Doo. Overall this is a great book to get for a young zombie lover. It's real. People do die and there is blood shed. But it's not graphic and way more tame than the zombie movies that I let him watch.
As an adult I still found this book entertaining. I was still sitting on the edge of the seat cheering for the Living Dead Boy (Josh) and the Zombie Hunters(his crew). I was heartbroken when they had to make those tough life and death decisions that characters make in zombie books. I was glad everytime they outsmarted the zombies and I was upset when they were lied to, betrayed and ignored. Overall this book had the character depth and captivating storyline that her adult zombie novels without graphic violence and "sickening and twisted" love scenes. Whatever that means. LOL. It's a great book for zombie lovers of all ages.
This is Rhiannon Frater's lost book. It has high ratings on Goodreads and Amazon but has only been rated 37 times and reviewed 11 times. It deserves to be read. It really is a great read. So I highly recommend this to all zombie fans.


See I really did buy it for my nephew. Please ignore my Beiber hair. I'm growing it out and it is always in my face. Grr.

0 comments:

Post a Comment