Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Review: Blood Singers by Tamara Rose Blodgett

Blood Singers (Blood, #1)
 A sub-species of human beings...

Twenty-year old Julia Wade, a young woman tragically widowed, is in the middle of a bizarre bid between two mythical species who are vying for the unique properties she offers; her blood. The vampires need her to balance the food load of the human species and give them their coveted “Lightwalkers.” The Were wish to be moonless changers; a Rare One can make that a reality.

Julia wants to belong to herself.

Can she free herself and begin a new life?





I know that you have all heard about Tamara Rose Blodgett by now. And if you haven't, then no excuses! Check out Lori's interview with the amazing Indie author, here.

This is my first experience with Blodgett's writing. *Oh, the shame! I'll be reading more! I promise!* Some of the first things I noticed were the hopping between past/present, as well as POV. I found that I actually really liked it! It lures you along, giving small details. You start off rooting for Julia, the MC, then you find yourself relating with the vamps, and then finally get a peek into the Weres, and the singers, as well as a small dip into the police investigating the whole thing. Who do I cheer for?!?! It jerks your feelings and loyalties all over the place, and it was entirely unpredictable. Loved it.

This does lead to one little problem though. The cheese factor. I was constantly flipping the page to find someone else who wanted Julia all for themselves. While a little redundant, it did lead to an exciting climax! *No way! I won't tell you how it ends!*

Blodgett's style does take some getting used to, but I have to say that I absolutely adored her graphic metaphors and similes. It gives the reader a very clear picture to run with. The characters are each unique, with distinct personalities and voices. This carries over to their dialogue, which is believable and great fun. I do wish that the whole thing had gone through one more round of edits, just to add clarity to some sections, but I won't ever judge a book solely on that.

In the end, based purely on entertainment value, I give it a solid four stars. Even when I would put it down for the night, it would call to me, urging me to read just one more chapter. Just as the sequel calls to me now...




4 comments:

  1. Yay I'm glad you liked it. Her writing improves with each book especially when you get used to the style of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even noticed a difference between the first half of the book, and the second. It was like she really got to know her characters, and just started fitting into her groove. I'll be reading the next one really soon. Like, next week. ;)

      Delete