Saturday, June 22, 2013

Review: Crossing by Stacey Wallace Benefiel

Crossing
Crossing 
by Stacey Wallace Benefiel
Published May 8th 2013 by Write Free

Due to heavy subject matter, Crossing is recommended for readers 17+.

He stole her lipstick…and her heart.

Twenty-year-old Dani Walker can’t believe her luck when she’s paired up with the gorgeous Liam Garrett as her Acting I scene partner – or when he ends up in her bed. Being a Plain Jane with a mouth on her hasn’t exactly served Dani well in the guy department. In fact, she’s had nothing but one night stands. Still, she lets go of her insecurities and falls for Liam, despite feeling like he’s holding something back.

When Dani finally discovers Liam’s secret, she must learn the true meaning of accepting the ones we love for who they are, or risk losing the best thing that’s ever happened to her.

Synopsis from Goodreads

Amazon purchase link: Crossing


"As that happy pressure builds, I gather up handfuls of the electric blue fake fur couch cover, wishing for something a little less whimsical against my bare ass."


Crossing is one of those books that could've been about anything, and I would've picked it up regardless. Stacey's books are always guaranteed to be raw, gritty and real, which is quickly placing her among my favorite Indie authors. I'll admit, Crossing is WAY out of my comfort zone, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the plunge into something new.

This book is completely quirky and exactly what I was in the mood for. It's definitely not your standard love story, but that doesn't make it any less about love. It follows an unconventional relationship, to say the least. I'm trying my best to keep this spoiler free, but I'm having a hard time not blurting out Liam's secret!

Danielle (Dani) is a character with a lot of depth. She is funny and sarcastic, with a foul mouth, but she also has a lot of self-esteem issues. A traumatic experience in her past has her feeling lonely and unlovable. She believes that because she is "chubby" that she should settle for whatever she can get in the love department. I wanted to shake her, and tell her how beautiful she is, to tell her that she is worth more than that! I hate that anyone should feel like this!
When she meets Liam, he seems to good to be true. He's gorgeous, kind, and can keep up with her sense of humor. But he also seems to be holding back, and his secret is something that not even Dani could have guessed.

One of the things that I know Stacey will always bring to her writing is her unique style and realistic dialogue. Dani and Liam have a rapport that cannot be faked. Be prepared for lots and lots of swears! That doesn't bother me in the least, but I know it can throw some people off, so consider yourselves warned.

At the back of the book, Stacey says that she felt like she had to write the story, and I'm so glad she did because I believe that it needs to be read. It strips our view of the world away, revealing stereotypes and discrimination. Bigotry; it's an ugly word but it's something that happens every day. Hopefully, by shining the spotlight on it, people might just be more aware of the consequences of their actions.

I try not to read reviews, but honestly, I was curious about what people had to say about this one. If someone rated it only one star, what was their basis of complaint? Strangely enough, they kept their opinions to themselves. I can see how this book is not for everyone, but seriously, don't pick up a romance novel about an unorthodox couple unless you're ready to keep an open mind!

Lastly, I would like to dedicate this song to Stacey Wallace Benefiel for following her heart and writing this gem. I believe that we all have a right to live and love freely.


"You're the perfect woman for both halves of me."
A copy of this book was provided by Netgalley.




0 comments:

Post a Comment